Year of Poetry Update - Week 33

121 New Zealand Poems
and
The Ballad of Reading Gaol
A much better week, still not managing to get to the writing on a continuous basis over the week but it is amazing the boost you get from finishing a poem and one that feels like it might be publishable.

I managed about an hour more than last week and most of that was close reading.

I also happened across Ledbury Festival and their podcasts. A good store of poetry from this year -  poet's reading and talking about their work as well as critics delivering interesting lectures.  

Check the page out here. You might also want to search for Poetry Salon if this link doesn't take you there - Poetry Salon).

I am very near to sending out some more subs if I can find time this week.

I must also send a shout out to PS Cottier who created this wonderful poem from a quote in one of my Year of Poetry posts: A short wander through the head of a poet.



The Writing...

followed the pattern of a good run at it on Sunday and a short session the following evening.  I outlined in this post my success last Sunday and the lessons learned so I won't repeat them.  I did try and enjoy the feeling of closure associated with this poem and tried to stretch that out for the entire week. 

The close reading also sparked off an idea for tomorrow so I am riding a peak at the moment, noting and noticing it.



The Study

I completed reading and noting the chapter Madness, Rack and Honey in  Mary Ruefle's, Madness Rack and Honey.


Close Reading


Completed Broad Bean Sermon by Les Murray and began Tobacco Road by Brian Johnstone.



For the Statbadgers:


Total time: 4:25 (367:45) hrs


poem writing = 1.45 (165:32) hrs

close reading =1:10(75:12) hrs

technique/theory 1:00(84:08) hrs

reflection = 0:30 (28:25) hrs



Poetry written:

1(32) poems completed


(0)15poems in draft


1 poem abandoned


1 poem facing execution at dawn



Poems Submitted:


0(16 in total) poems



Poems Published:


0(8) poem



Live Performances:
0(2)



Rejections:



0(8) poems

Comments

Most Popular Posts