Year of Poetry Update - Week 17

Thank goodness I did a lot of work early in the week as teaching prep ate up my time and will to do anything remotely involved with putting ink to paper.  I managed nearly 10 hours all up this week and the slight increase was due to extra time put in on writing poems.

I had a bit of fun experimenting with epistolary poetry, though I think I might need to read more widely in this sub genre as it felt too much like writing a letter as opposed to writing a poem.  I also managed to get halfway through another  promising poem before the writing time was curtailed and am left in that state of wanting to get back to it as soon as possible - a good way to feel I presume.
I find I am enjoying Clive James' critical essays on poetry, I do feel though that I'd benefit more if I had some more solid and broad world literary history under my belt.

This week's study was comprised of the essays, Technique's Marginal Centrality and A Deeper Consideration by Clive James from his Poetry Notebook and Jane Hirshfield's Seeing Through Words.


My close reading was Sarah Howe's Night in Arizona.  Which you can listen to below in the poet's own voice:



Aside from the close reading I have also been dipping into Australian Book Review magazines from last year and casually reading Sharon Olds' Selected Poems from Cape.  If you enjoy hard hitting confessional poetry you should check her out.

The major concern that is troubling me at the moment is the threat that my part time work will leave me too exhausted to put as much effort in as I have been. The lesson prep seems to eat into that same reserve of concentration that I use for poetry.


For the Statbadgers:

Total time: 09:42 (245:42) hrs

poem writing = 5.00 (102:41) hrs
close reading = 1:20(51:10) hrs
technique/theory 2:37(59:42) hrs
reflection = 0:45 (20:20) hrs


Poetry written:


1 (19) poems completed
6 poems in draft
1 poem abandoned
1 poem facing execution at dawn



Poems Submitted:

0(13 in total) poems




Poems Published:


0(5) poem


Live Performances:


0(2)


Rejections:


0(6) poems

Comments

Most Popular Posts